I would ask if you can distribute this around anyone who you think may be interested.
Well its been a busy season around the HMS area with regattas, socials and training happening all over, HMS covers a wide area and its been great for my first season as Co-ordinator to be involved.
We have 4 young sailors in the HMS area who have made the new 29er Squad. Well done.
HMS has its own web site , have you checked it out, it will be getting updated regularly as items come available.
CSC has some great info and pictures on their website , why not have a look.
More websites in next months HMS NEWS
Dates for your (or someone’s) diary
Next HMS meeting is at Inverness Sea Scout HQ.
TUE 8th November
Club Race Officer course, Sat 5th Nov at Peterhead Sailing Club -. A fantastic course for anyone who wants to know more about race management. Details at end of email below.
HMS is currently co-ordinating training needs, wants and resourses so we can match them up and help make it happen in the HMS area. Please send me any comments on this what you want an/or what you can do. Thanks.
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Unsung Hero 2011
We know you have some fantastic volunteers in your clubs and centres, most of whom would never seek or expect any reward or recognition for all the hard work they do.
Now is your chance to show them how much they mean to the club.
Nominations for BBC Sports Personality of the Year Unsung Hero 2011 are now open!
"The awards have been run annually since 2003. They recognise special people who dedicate their lives to promoting sport in their community, taking no reward from it other than the pleasure of helping others to take part and enjoy their sport.
The search for our BBC's Sports Unsung Heroes takes place across the United Kingdom. It will see winners named in all 12 of our BBC English Regions plus Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Each winner will go forward for final judging, when an overall winner is named at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year event in Salford on Thursday, 22 December live on BBC ONE."
For more information and to download the nomination form please visit:
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Unsung Hero 2011
Nomination forms must be returned (to the BBC Not us!!) by 2359 GMT on Sunday 30 October.
Good luck with your nominations.
Jane Campbell Morrison
RYAS Development Manager
6 days of taster activity have been arranged for disabled sailing in 2012 – if you are keen to hear more about the dates and venues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entries are open for the Scottish Keelboat Academy, for more information go to http://www.ryascotland.org.uk/programmes/Pages/SKA.aspx - completed application forms need to be sent to: email@example.com.
- If you are looking for new ideas and ways to deliver training (across disciplines), check out this link:http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestraining/resources/Pages/default.aspx
- What does affiliation for clubs mean – click on this link to find out - http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/clubsclass/afficliate/Pages/whyaffiliate.aspx
- Individuals join the RYA, whereas clubs affiliate – but what are the benefits of being a member of the RYA, click on this link to find out - http://www.rya.org.uk/joinrenew/whyjoin/Pages/WhyJointheRYA.aspx
RYAS Development Officer
The OnBoard festival took place on the 3rd of September at SailLaser with 28 kids from 4 of the OnBoard centres. The day saw the kids split into 4 teams and rotated around four fun activities. Once again Lochore Meadows won the team prize.
This year we encouraged the parents to try sailing and 13 of them had a sail in an SB3. All the parents loved it and most are keen to sail again.
Sail For Gold
Although many of the sailors have been selected for the 2012 Olympics the 470 and Laser Radial classes are yet to be decided. This is the 2 classes where we have Scottish sailors, Luke Patience and Charlotte Dobson. The selection for these classes will take place after the Worlds at the end of November in Sidney.
There are many clubs in Scotland signed up for Sail for Gold and most have had fantastic events. There will be more ‘goodies’ coming from Hamble at the beginning of the season. The Olympic Activation Group have produced poster and press release templates, information for schools and a quiz which has been put onto memory sticks for the clubs and centres signed up.
If you are not already signed up it is not to late just go to http://www.rya.org.uk/programmes/sailforgold/participate/Pages/activator-form.aspx
Sail to Learn
Another Sail to Learn training day has been arranged for the 12th of November, the training will provisionally take place at Bardowie Loch. If you are interested in being able to run Sail to Learn sessions for your local schools please firstname.lastname@example.org
RYAS High Performance Manager
We need feedback on the functionality of Sailracer. It would be helpful to know peoples competence level with it. Are people confident making a squad, inputting dates, changing letter send outs etc? Any comments should be directed to Nick at email@example.com
RYAS Club & Pathway Development Officer
- Benmore Trophy 29th October: To enter email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winter & 2012 Regattas - encourage clubs to email Adam with winter & 2012 regatta dates to go into RYA Scotland Calendar
· Attended the Scout Acceler8 event at Fordell Firs – Although the footfall wasn’t huge and it wasn’t really an opportunity to sell membership it was great to hand out lots of information on courses and to get the leaders to think about using sailing as part of their plans for next year
· Attended the Scottish Windfest – This was a fantastic event and we were offering free junior membership and discounted youth membership. Although only 17 signed up it was a great opportunity to speak to the organisers and see how we could get more involved next year. The weather was good and the locals seemed very happy to have such an impressive event taking place in their local area
· Submitted a proposal to Malin Waters asking them to be the gold sponsor for our Big Weekend in February
· Sent copies of the manifesto and a short letter to go onto all the boats at the Forth and Clyde 10 event
· Attending a social media networking event at sportscotland which was a great opportunity to meet marketing/comms people from different sports and get an idea of what they are doing and what is working well for them
RYA Scotland SDG Co-ordinator
T; 01309 690099
Peterhead Sailing Club will be hosting a RYA Club Race Officer course on Saturday November 5th between 10am (please meet at 9:30am for a prompt start) and approximately 4:30pm.
We would like to invite members of any HMS and NESS clubs, that are interested, to attend.
The cost of the course will be £12 per person and this will include a light soup and sandwich lunch and tea/coffee/biscuits.
If you would like a place on this course, or have any queries, please let email@example.com know as soon as possible.